Selling your products abroad can be a great way to increase sales and grow your business. Studies show that Shopiroller online stores that ship to two or more countries have seen an average 680% increase in revenue.
If you’re considering taking the plunge into international selling, preparing beforehand is essential. Here are ten steps to help you get started with global sales from your online store:
Do Market Research
Conducting the proper research is vital for creating a successful market strategy. Research the overall demand for your products both locally and globally.
- analyze trends
- examine the competitive landscape,
- study customer acquisition costs and
- customer lifetime value,
- identify any gaps you’ll need to fill in
- determine price ranges and potential profitability.
Doing this will help ensure that your strategy is set up for success. Take the time to think about who your ideal customers are and what motivates them. Knowing this will help you craft a compelling marketing message that resonates with them and reaches the right audience rather than having a generic approach.
Choose an International Market or Cluster
Before selling your products to international markets, thoroughly research and find the best place to start. Pick a specific need or cluster with enough demand for your goods and plan accordingly.
Set measurable goals and budget so you can avoid unnecessary expenditures while growing your business. With the proper preparation, taking your products global can be a rewarding experience.
Learn the Rules and Regulations
Before branching out to a new area, make sure you’re aware of any legislation or regulations related to the sale and shipment of your items in that location.
Double-check that your products are neither on the prohibited nor restricted list – even their components can be disallowed or considered too hazardous for shipping. Remember that dangerous items such as batteries can sometimes be innocuous. Although it’s only occasionally a showstopper, restricted items may mean that your products cannot be transported by air, leading to longer delivery times or hefty handling fees.
You’ll have to determine whether you want to take advantage of an existing marketplace that’s well-versed in international commerce or build your own from scratch. It’s a choice between putting in the effort and reaping the rewards.
Sell your products abroad by leveraging marketplaces
- The good
Order fulfillment runs smoothly and efficiently, while the marketplace takes care of local sales tax and regulations.
- The bad:
Higher platform costs can lead to smaller profit margins, and marketplaces like Amazon and eBay tend to have higher rates of returns and refunds.
What you need to do?
Integrate your store with Amazon, eBay, or other marketplaces on Wix in just a few minutes. You may have to customize your account further if you want to sell internationally on eBay – set up Paypal and reach certain thresholds on both sales and reviews.
Sell your products to customers around the world from your store
Take charge of your brand and business by having complete control over it.
The international order fulfillment process can be intricate. To ensure compliance, it is advisable to use automated sales tax tools such as Avalara instead of manually managing taxes. This will make the process easier and simpler.
Localize Your Store
Localizing your eCommerce website is essential in building trust with potential shoppers. Consider hiring a native speaker to review all the content on your store, ensuring that it is grammatically correct and within your brand’s guidelines. Pay close attention to ensure that all texts and images are appropriate, which will help present your business positively. Taking the time to get this right is essential for a successful localization process.
Establishing your brand identity in an international market will help you promote your business more effectively and save you money. By ensuring that customers are clear on what they’re purchasing and with the correct instructions, you’ll reduce the rate of returns and refunds due to misunderstandings between countries. This could save you a lot of money regarding international shipping and other associated costs.
Display Prices in Local Currencies
Include a currency converter on your eCommerce website to give shoppers the convenience of shopping in their preferred currency. Ensure your converter is automated so you don’t have to manually update it every time you run sales or change prices. This will save you a lot of time and effort!
By allowing people to shop in their currency, you can ensure that your customers have a seamless and enjoyable shopping experience.
Connect an Adequate Payment Provider
When selecting a payment provider, it’s essential to consider a few key points. You can use the following questions as a guide when making your decision:
- What payment methods are most popular among your target customers?
- Do they typically use credit cards, PayPal, or other cashless payments?
- Are two-step payment services like those used in Brazil and Japan an option for them?
- Are they interested in buy-now-pay-later opportunities?
- Answering these questions can help you determine the best payment methods for your customers.
Spend time researching the best payment providers for your eCommerce business before selecting one. Make sure to find a provider with a friendly, professional, and reliable reputation.
Handle Your Fulfillment and Shipping
Achieving success in the international market requires providing your products at a speed that meets or exceeds local expectations. Here are some tips for making sure that happens
Check customs and international shipping regulations
The consequences of not being aware of the rules can be costly delays and fines.
Look into costs for shipping internationally
Taxes, charges, duties, and levies can differ depending on the location of origin and where the shipment is headed.
Ensure your products are securely packed
- Select the right package size according to your product’s shape and weight.
- Utilize all available space in the box – avoid excess space.
- Affix secure seals on each package before shipping out.
- Include printed labels for each shipment to ensure successful delivery.
- If you’re selling expensive items, consider getting shipping insurance for extra protection.
Find the right shipping provider
Connect a shipping vendor that ships to multiple countries. Get one supplier that covers all your target markets. This is essential when you are selling products internationally. To accommodate more customers, offer different services from a carrier or a delivery app based on the following:
- Verifying necessary credentials for shipping to different countries
- Establishing the frequency of shipments to each country
- Determining the cost that fits customers’ budget
- Optimizing delivery speed according to customers’ expectations.
Consider third-party fulfillment
Third-party fulfillment companies can significantly help international shipping, even though there may be a cost involved. Investing in these services could save you time and effort while ensuring the best possible quality of delivery.
Mind Your Marketing
It’s essential to consider your marketing strategy carefully to reach your new customers effectively. Keep in mind that depending on the region, different people may perceive your products differently, affecting their response to your marketing approach. For example, a mid-market watch might be perceived as affordable in Mexico but not necessarily so in Canada. To ensure that your marketing initiatives are successful, you must put in the work and understand who you’re targeting. This should include allocating ad budgets, selecting influencers, partnering with affiliates, and setting discounts. All these elements are essential to consider when creating your marketing plan.
- What should I consider when selecting a shipping provider?
- When selecting a shipping provider, make sure to find one that is friendly, professional, and reliable. Look into costs for shipping internationally and ensure your products are securely packed before delivery by using the correct package size according to your product’s shape and weight. Consider third-party fulfillment services to save time and effort while ensuring the best possible quality of delivery.
- What should I take into account when creating my marketing plan?
- When creating your marketing plan, it’s essential to consider your ad budgets, select influencers, partner with affiliates, and set up discounts. Additionally, research the different markets you’re targeting and understand how they may perceive your products to ensure your marketing initiatives are successful.
- How do I ensure customer satisfaction?
- To ensure customer satisfaction, responding quickly, courteously, and authentically to customer queries or feedback is essential. Additionally, provide clear and updated shipping information and offer a timely delivery service to customers who may be ordering from abroad.
- What should I do to get started selling internationally?
- To get started with international shipping, ensure you have verified credentials for every country you plan to ship your product to. Establish the frequency of shipments, determine a cost that fits customers’ budgets, and optimize delivery speed according to customer preference. Create an online store with Shopiroller to reach new customers and ensure your marketing initiatives are successful.
- What are some tips for improving customer satisfaction?
- To improve customer satisfaction, it’s essential to provide clear and updated shipping information and offer a timely delivery service to customers who may be ordering from abroad. Consider offering discounts or loyalty programs to reward loyal customers and create an easy returns process with clear instructions if a customer needs to return an item.
Are you ready to start selling your products internationally? Before getting started, it’s essential to know those customer complaints may arise concerning sizes, shipping times, and returns. Make sure to respond quickly, courteously, and authentically to any customer queries or feedback – this will ensure that they stay satisfied, returning and recommending your business to their friends. Get started on your journey by creating an online store with Shopiroller today!